Inflammation can be good and bad for the body. If you have ever injured yourself, it becomes swollen and warm. That’s good/healthy inflammation as the immune system is healing the body. But when the immune system goes into overdrive and starts attacking healthy cells and tissues that is bad and unhealthy inflammation. If inflammation is ignored it becomes chronic and can lead to debilitating conditions and diseases, like autoimmune, IBS, arthritis, and premature aging.
Common signs of inflammation include:
- Joint pains
- Bloating and digestive problems
- Skin issues- acne, rashes, dry patches, etc.
Top 8 Anti-inflammatory foods:
- Wild Salmon– has the omega-3 fatty acids. Wild caught salmon has shown most effective anti-inflammatory agents. Other sources of omega-3 to be added in your diet are herring, sardines, and anchovies.
- Turmeric– active component curcumin has been used for centuries in east medicine.
- Dark Chocolate (80% cacao or higher)- contains the phytonutrient resveratrol. Its also an antioxidant in red wine. Resveratrol has been shown to protect DNA, flight inflammation and protect cells from free radicals.
- Green Tea– an antioxidant has been very popular in Asia. It plays significant role in reducing cardiovascular disease, preventing cancer and lower rates of neurocognitive decline.
- Chili Peppers– The anti-inflammatory capsaicin in chili peppers has a bonus ability as a painkiller too.
- Coconut Oil– is full of healthy fats which helps burn body fat and improve brain function. It’s also anti-inflammatory so make it the cooking oil of choice.
- Ginger– provides boost to immune system and has healing properties. Ginger’s ability to modulate the immune system makes it powerful anti-inflammatory.
- Green Vegetables (Broccoli, Swiss Chard, Bok Choy)- contain large amounts of vitamins and minerals. Green vegetables are high in antioxidants that fight free radicals and prevent and reduce inflammation in the body.
Your diet is important factor determining your level of inflammation and your overall health. Processed foods, sugar, fried foods and alcohol must be limited/ avoided in order to keep inflammation low.
Here is the list of Gluten free grains. Stay Healthy and away from GMO products.
In the American diet vegetable oil is the one source of fat. These days there is increasing concern of which omegas are healthy and in what ratio.
So many Omegas: Which ones are good? Omega-3 or Omega-6:
Omega-6 fats fall under the “bad fats” category and are pro-inflammatory, and there is evidence that higher consumption of these fats is related to brain disorders. American diet is extremely high in omega-6 fats which are found in many vegetable oils, including safflower oil, corn oil, canola oil, sunflower oil and soybean oil.
Our hunter-gatherer ancestors consumed omega-6 and omega-3 fats in a ratio of roughly 1:1. Today we consumed ten to twenty-five times more omega-6 fats and have dramatically reduced our intake of healthy omega-3 fats.
The following chart lists the omega-6 and omega-3 content of various vegetables oils.
|Oil||Omega-6 Content||Omega-3 Content|
So seafood is great source of omega-3 fatty acids and even wild meats- beef, venison and buffalo. But if animals are fed grains (corn and soybeans) then they will not have adequate omega-3 in their meat. Hence it’s better to consume grass-fed beef and meats to get all the vital nutrients in our diet.
Reference: “Grain Brain”- David Perlmutter
Happiness seems simple. We all experience it at some point or another. But when you think about it, happiness can be quite complicated. Emotions are a different experience for everyone, and each individual’s baseline- is determined by genes and personality traits. Circumstances and daily activities make up the rest of the puzzle.
The World Happiness Report is a survey and ranking of 155 countries by their level of happiness, taking into account six key indicators: Generosity, Freedom, Health, Trustworthy governance, Income and Social support.
The Happiest Places on Earth.
According to World Happiness Report, the happiest countries of 2017 are:
- New Zealand
America isn’t i the top 10. US ranks No. 14 on the list. Perhaps we can take some pointers from those happy Scandinavians!
Looking for ways to be happier?
Smiling, even when you don’t feel like it seems to affect positive change in your mood. Other few things are: To stream music, read inspiring articles, meditate, enjoy a nature walk, travel, spend quality time with your pet and reflect on something you’re grateful for at the end of every day. 🙂
50 Superfoods that can help lower your risk of….
Below are some of the suggestions. There are a lot of other foods that are also healthy to eat.
|Cardio health||Hypertension||Bone health||Anti-cancer|
Salmon, pink (with bones)
High fiber Cereals
So stay Healthy as your lunch can crunch disease….
Listed below are the library of knowledge that I use to write the blog. Check out these websites for more info and amazing articles. These are the few of the many references.
These 7 essentials to improve self-health. To make positive changes in the seven key areas that influence health and wellness.
- Structure= Body and musculoskeletal health (massage, Acupuncture, Chiropractor)
- Diet & Nutrition= what you eat and drink (eat whole food not processed food. Drink water instead of Sodas)
- Digestion= having enzymes to digest food well and eliminating the waste products.
- Hormones= Balanced endocrine system. Especially for women health (PMS, menopause)
- Exercise= Activity is important
- Stress= manage emotional, physical and nutritional stress (from intake of artificial food)
- Thoughts= What you think about affects your health. You can’t have positive life with negative attitude.