Food color and Phytochemicals!
The truth is that the more color your fresh produce has, the better it is for you. That’s because of one thing: phytochemicals.
Phytochemicals are only found in plants. They act to protect us from inflammation. They’re also a good way to tell that a fruit or vegetable has lots of nutrients.
Here is an easy to remember trick to help you know which foods are most good for your body.
Carrots, cantaloupe, pumpkin and sweet potatoes. These are just a few of the orange foods that are known for their high levels of beta-carotene.
These foods are high in antioxidants and are good for our vision because they contain Vitamin A.
Tomatoes, cranberries, pink grapefruit and watermelon. Most fruits and vegetables that are red contain lycopene.
Lycopene lowers the risk of cancer and improves the health of our tissues. Red foods also contain vitamin C and flavonoids can help reduce inflammation and prevent bacteria from attaching to our cells.
Avocado, pistachios, kiwi, leafy greens like spinach, and kale. These foods are high in lutein, which is good for eye health. Kiwi fruit is also high in vitamin C.
Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Bok choy and cabbage. Green may be the color we tend to think of most often when it comes to vegetables. There’s good reason for us to think that green is one of the healthiest colors a food can be.
Green vegetables get their color from chlorophyll, and foods that have a lot of chlorophyll are rich in isiothiocyanates. These help the liver move toxins out of our system. They also have vitamin K, folic acid and potassium.
Eggplant, blueberries, blackberries, plums and pomegranates. The dark blue and purple colors of these foods comes from anthocyanin. That’s a powerful antioxidant that is heart healthy and lowers high blood pressure. They also fight blood clots.
Black beans, chia seeds, lentils and mushrooms. Black foods are loaded with pigment, and that means that they are high in antioxidants.
Traditional use of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) are vast. To name a few, it has been used to ease digestion, aid in flu prevention, reduce inflammation, regulate pH balance, alleviate allergic symptoms, ease nausea and heartburn, detox regimens, and for a number of skin conditions. ACV also does seem to show some potential for managing hunger and weight control.
A study published in the Journal of Functional Foods found that sipping on apple cider vinegar before a meal can help reduce the release of sugar into the blood and improve insulin sensitivity.
Also remember to only purchase raw, unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar like Bragg’s or Spectrum Naturals apple cider vinegar. Try mixing 2 tablespoon into a glass of warm water with some lemon juice, and drink everyday.
Happiness seems simple. We all experience it at some point or another. But when you think about it, happiness can be quite complicated. Emotions are a different experience for everyone, and each individual’s baseline- is determined by genes and personality traits. Circumstances and daily activities make up the rest of the puzzle.
The World Happiness Report is a survey and ranking of 155 countries by their level of happiness, taking into account six key indicators: Generosity, Freedom, Health, Trustworthy governance, Income and Social support.
The Happiest Places on Earth.
According to World Happiness Report, the happiest countries of 2017 are:
- New Zealand
America isn’t i the top 10. US ranks No. 14 on the list. Perhaps we can take some pointers from those happy Scandinavians!
Looking for ways to be happier?
Smiling, even when you don’t feel like it seems to affect positive change in your mood. Other few things are: To stream music, read inspiring articles, meditate, enjoy a nature walk, travel, spend quality time with your pet and reflect on something you’re grateful for at the end of every day. 🙂
Listed below are the library of knowledge that I use to write the blog. Check out these websites for more info and amazing articles. These are the few of the many references.
These 7 essentials to improve self-health. To make positive changes in the seven key areas that influence health and wellness.
- Structure= Body and musculoskeletal health (massage, Acupuncture, Chiropractor)
- Diet & Nutrition= what you eat and drink (eat whole food not processed food. Drink water instead of Sodas)
- Digestion= having enzymes to digest food well and eliminating the waste products.
- Hormones= Balanced endocrine system. Especially for women health (PMS, menopause)
- Exercise= Activity is important
- Stress= manage emotional, physical and nutritional stress (from intake of artificial food)
- Thoughts= What you think about affects your health. You can’t have positive life with negative attitude.
Extreme fluctuation in weather can put stress on immune system. Lower immune system means easy to catch cold & flu.
Here are some tips to prevent flu:
- Avoid sick people
- Wash your hands often
- Breathe clean air (air purifier)
- Keep your hands away from your face
- Keep warm (wear a scarf)
- Get more movement, sun, and fresh air
- Get 8 hours of sleep
- Avoid negativity
- Preventative natural medicine (boost immune system)
The best prevention during cold & flu is to get your immune system stronger.
6 Essential ways your Kidneys are keeping you alive right now….
- Your Kidneys filter all of your blood every hour. All of your blood passes through your kidneys every four minutes.
- Your kidneys help regulate your blood pressure.
- Your kidneys are responsible for assimilating vitamins and nutrients. Low blood sugar, headache, fatigue, drowsiness, low energy- these are all linked to poor nutrient assimilation by your kidneys.
- Your kidneys manage the production of red blood cells. Your red blood cells carry oxygen to every cell in your body. If your kidneys are not working efficiently, your red blood cell count can waver drastically.
- Your kidneys help to regular all body fluids. If you suffer from dehydration (too little water) or edema (too much water), your kidneys are definitely out of balance.
- Your kidneys are the only organ that produces active Vitamin D for you. Vitamin D promotes strong, healthy bones and reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease, hypertension and osteoporosis.
So for these top reasons everyone needs to cleanse their Kidneys.